Wednesday, March 13, 2024

FLIP CITY: The inspiration behind the story

“Flip City” is a culmination of my all-time favorite novels. Mark Twain’s “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” with its tale of social injustices, was probably the first to influence my writing of what was to become “Flip City”; JD Salinger’s “The Catcher in the Rye” reinforced my passion to write it; “A Clockwork Orange” by Anthony Burgess with its dark futuristic narrator was another. I would also include Donna Tartt’s “The Goldfinch” and most recently, “Demon Copperhead” by Barbara Kingsolver, not as influences per se, but perhaps as creative encouragement. 

Like those books, at its core, Flip City is the story of an adolescent coming to terms with the reality of life in a darker world that he neither asked for nor can control. I hope fans of Huck, Holden, Alex, Theo, and Demon in those novels will find Flip City an edgy and compelling read, too.

So that’s the story. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy my book.

[Photo: Salinger Spalding / Painting: judy@judynimtz.com]


No comments:

Post a Comment